Thursday 6 December 2007

Still Baking: Morning Muffins

The lack of posts about my baking this time are actually because I haven't been doing any. I've been requalifying as a First Aider and it has meant me getting up very early in the morning, leaving the house before dawn and eating from my stock.

However today I was once again able to make the most of my time, natural leaven and a simple roll recipe (mentioned in the previous link), to make my lunch and, while the oven was on and because I had eaten all that chocolate cake already, I made some muffins to take to work with me.

If you have never made these before they really are the easiest, and probably quickest, cake to make. They suffer from over mixing, so it is better to mix less, and they only take about ten minutes to cook and they cool quickly (a must when morning baking). I have severely adapted this recipe, which is for chocolate chip muffins (is there any other kind?!), from others that I found and through experimentation. I usually just hack up half a bar of dark chocolate for the chips (can you believe how expensive pre-chipped chocolate is?) and I always buy fairtrade both for chocolate and cocoa (as well as bananas, coffee etc.), I suggest you do too, it will taste all the sweeter for it.

Mmm, chocolate.

No comments: