Thursday 22 November 2007

No Baking Today

I had a bit of a lie-in this morning as my wife didn't have to be up so early for work, and I therefore didn't do any baking. This doesn't mean I had to go without bread though, and the reason behind this is the subject of today's post.

As I said yesterday, I had made my staple bread recipe in the form of baps and, as there were some left over, I froze the rest. I have found that if one cuts the rolls as if to fill them and then puts them back together and freezes them on the same morning as baking them, then they keep perfectly well. To make them into sandwiches all one has to do is take them out of the freezer, split them along the cut and make the sandwiches with the bread frozen. As long as they are well wrapped and there is some delay between making and eating, they will be perfectly edible and still superior to shop-bought varieties.

For those of you who are rather cynical about this practice: give it a try. Some blind experiments on my ever available wife have proven it really is difficult to tell the difference.

Tomorrow I shall be baking pizza and, though not for the faint-hearted or those without the correct equipment, I shall post a detailed description (i.e. long) on how I have achieved a pizza that makes my Italian in-laws despair of pizzerias in their own country.

No comments: