Tuesday 27 November 2007

Grow Your Own

Today I just baked my standard bread mentioned previously (see 'A Simple Bread'), but I have recently started using a natural leaven in the place of yeast. This acts in the same way as yeast, but relies on naturally occurring yeasts and bacteria to provide the gases that raise bread dough. They are all harmless, and the baking of the bread kills them all anyway, so there is no need to worry about them. They also impart a distinct flavour to the bread.

They act more slowly and are in a less concentrated state, so when using it in the overnight simple bread recipe there is no need to put them in the fridge, and 100g / 4oz of leaven should be used with 225g / 9oz of water to provide the right consistency.

I've just set another batch up this evening (so I don't know if there will be a post tomorrow), and now it is late, so I shall leave it at that and encourage you to experiment for yourself.

Be busy baking.

No comments: