Wednesday 28 November 2007

Focaccia

Even though I haven't baked this today I have started it already, so I feel justified in posting this, my signature recipe. Originally an Italian bread made while the ovens were heating up (it is cooked cooler than most Italian breads), it has acheived worldwide renown. I have made a few adaptations over time, not least of which is the overnight technique. This really is one of the easiest (and tastiest) overnight breads I have adapted, especially if your oven has a timer function; I time mine to be hot when I get up and then just take the breads out of the fridge, chuck some olive oil on top and pop them in the oven while I get ready. It can take a while to cool down, but if you really do leave it to the last minute in the mornings it can be wrapped in paper warm, taken to work and even eaten on its own it is so flavoured.

The recipe is detailed enough that it shouldn't cause many people problems (still some updating to do, but I don't think anyone will be downloading it before I get a chance). I will say that it requires quite a bit of kneading to acheive a smooth dough, because it is quite a dry mix, but as this is all done the night before in most cases I don't find it too tiring.

It is possible, and maybe more traditional, just to roll out the dough and put it onto baking trays as a sort of rough circle, but I have found it makes a better bread and is less prone to crust problems if it is enclosed in a tin. Sandwich tins (as in the recipe) are the tins usually used for making sponge cakes and the ones with a removable base are best as they save you having to tip an oil covered loaf upside down. The sides encourage it to rise by containing the dough, making for a softer and looser crumb.

I'll get to troubleshooting sometime soon, when I shall go into more detail about 'crust problems', so if you have any questions leave them in the comments and I shall hopefully be able to answer them.

Till next time.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

mmm - I love this bread - yours sounds good. We need pictures :)

Barney said...

Indeed we do, unfortunately I permanantly disabled my camera attempting to produce light graffiti, so I shall have to wait till Christmas and hope Santa brings me a new one!

Carolyn said...

I look forward to Christmas then :)

Not sure if it is of any interest but I run a foodie forum theCooksJournal.co.uk - you are welcome to post on there and let everyone know about your blog