Sunday 2 December 2007

Cake

From my posts it may look as if I haven't been doing any baking recently, but don't let that fool you. On Thursday I baked the focaccia mentioned in my previous post, Friday is pizza day like last week, closely followed by Saturday's ciabatta. These all kept me busy, but as I had already posted on them there wasn't much point duplicating them.

While I had the oven on baking ciabatta on Saturday morning I thought I should get some cake in. The ginger cake mentioned previously had all but disappeared into the black hole known as my stomach and so I set my hands to a chocolate sponge to see me through at least the start of the working week.

I have recently adapted my sponge recipe since I found a way to make it even more moist and delicious than it used to be. The trick is in weighing the eggs and making them up to the same weight as the other ingredients with milk (or more egg if you can split it). This makes for a good sponge and adding 25g / 1oz cocoa (not drinking chocolate! Look at the ingredients if you're not sure, cocoa only has one: cocoa) in place of the equivalent of the flour makes it chocolatey and, if I'd had some oranges, the grated rind of one added with the marge and sugar makes my favourite yet: chocolate orange, mmmmmmmm.

Treat your taste-buds.

No comments: