Monday 26 November 2007

Bread Making Machines

Another day of no baking (more freezer stocks consumed), so I thought I would post a short discussion on the merits of bread making machines. I had one of these devices bought for me by my mother-in-law, with the best of intentions, and I know a number of people who own them. I personally feel the bread baked in a bread maker is a poor, but easy, substitute for homemade bread.

The defects in the loaves, such as the whole in the middle and limited crust, made me unwilling to actually put in the time required to become proficient at baking using a bread maker (a skill in itself). I prefer to use the breadmaker as a handy domestic kneading machine, as I alluded to in my ciabatta post, and for this purpose it is certainly useful. Most breads can be adapted to have some, if not all, of the kneading done in a machine, with the shaping and baking done in a conventional manner.

I have adapted recipes that fit in with my lifestyle, and hopefully proved that it is possible to adapt breadmaking to fit around you by changing the temperature it is risen at, the size of the loaves and both the type and quantity of raising agent used. An example of this is the overnight ciabatta recipe, which shows how Saturday's ciabatta post can be simply altered to fit my daily schedule.

I hope this encourages you to get in there and bake, it's making me want to.

2 comments:

Cooking Fool said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of bread machines. I loved mine when I first got it but, eventually, I tired of the (alarming) consistency of the ensuing product. My plan is to explore more recipes with the understanding of the limitations of both the machine and myself! Okay. So. You know (and I know) that yeast is at least as important as flour to bread-making. My question is - where does one get fresh yeast (i.e. where do you get your fresh yeast?) I think I will try your ciabatta over the Christmas hols as I cannot fathom how I can fit baking so conscientiously in 'everyday life' while still cooking like a 'fool'. It's a passion, I guess!
Nice blog!

Barney said...

Without publicising any multi-national supermarket brands, there are some that will sell fresh yeast at the in-store bakery. Most will sell dried yeast which is a good substitute (though often full of additives), and many health food shops sell Fermipan, which is the one my mother uses, so it must be good.