Monday 21 January 2008

Soda Bread

Today, in deference to my wife as I don't like it very much, I made soda bread, which is a bread made without yeast and using bicarbonate as the raising agent. Its advantage is that it is relatively quick to make, though it takes a while to cool, so it can be made in the morning without any activity the evening before (I watched a film that finished late last night).

The main thing to note with this bread is to be really gentle with the dough; you don't want to excite the gluten in the flour too much or it will end up as a very solid lump. Also try adding extra bicarb or cream of tartar and varying the liquid to achieve the consistency that you like.

The 'bonnet' mentioned in the recipe can be any metal or other ovenproof material, it does make a difference. By keeping the dough moist whilst the rising takes place, it gives it more room to breathe as it were.

You may like this bread more than me, it's a bit stodgy for my taste, if so you have an easy job bread making. If not I'm sure you will find a recipe to your taste elsewhere on the site.

Bake boldly.

No comments: